Friday, May 10, 2024

Are You Too Clean?

Plus, the surprising lessons fleas teach us
 ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏
In today's edition, Joe shares:
  • Health Benefits of Dirt
  • Lessons From Fleas
  • A Spartan Experience
 
WINNING IS NOT AN ACCIDENT
Spartans!

A few weeks ago, I offered tips to clean up your life this spring. There's one key duty of spring cleaning that I missed. It requires getting a little dirty. Are you in?

Many of you know I spent years working on the trading desk in New York City. My office had few windows. I lived under fluorescent lights and rarely saw the sun.

I was desperate to get some exercise to break up the long days. So I'd run up and down the steps of the building's stairwell. Stifling and echoey, it was the best I could do.

Hours and hours of being indoors started to take a toll on me. I didn't feel good, physically or mentally.

Spartan was born out of my need to be outside. I started to train rain or shine, hot or cold. All that mattered was being in nature.

Research is uncovering the link between nature and our overall health. The more our lifestyles remove us from nature, the more unhealthy we get.

A Spartan named Al sent me this New York Times article published last month titled "The Surprising Health Benefits of Getting Dirty." Here's an excerpt:

Scientists have long known that a little dirt can be good for you. Research has suggested that people who grow up on farms, for instance, have lower rates of Crohn's disease, asthma and allergies, likely because of their exposure to a diverse array of microbes.

Just touching dirt has been linked to a stronger immune system and healthier microbiome. As you dig around, you inhale beneficial microbes for your body, brain, and spirit. Even a hike or stroll outside can help you encounter these elements.

Spending time in nature has also been shown to improve mental health, boost creativity, and increase focus.

Humans are designed to get dirty.

If your job is like my trading desk experience, commit to spending the weekends outside, or schedule a walk around your building every day (rain or shine!). Get dirty with Spartan, Tough Mudder, or Trail. Take up gardening as a hobby.

And for all of us: sweat, breathe heavily, and make some mud pies.

Let's not forget our roots.

Here's to The Hard Way!

Joe
 
JUMP OUT

The "Fleas in a Jar" theory is based on an experiment that goes like this: Fleas are put inside a jar and a lid is placed on top so they can't jump out. After some time, the fleas will adapt to only jump to the height of the lid. Even after the lid is removed, the fleas stay put. The constraint is removed, and yet the fleas still believe their options are limited.

We all have lids that we place on our accomplishments, strength, and circumstances. We've learned to limit our own potential even when the lid comes off.

What jar will you jump out of this week?

 
You Ask, Joe Answers
Last week, we asked you to share how exercise is transforming your mental health. Here's a response from a fellow Spartan:

A: Hey Joe,I have found that I have less anger issues with regular exercise…I also find looking at the wildlife and nature on the creek behind my apartment building soothes my mind. >
- Stanley

Question for Joe? Want to tell him what you think of The Hard Way? Email him at thehardway@spartan.com.
 
MOTIVATION HACK
CLICK TO SHARE
 
They Said It
"Winners are not afraid of losing. But losers are. Failure is part of the process of success. People who avoid failure also avoid success."
Robert T. Kiyosaki
 
OUR LATEST
The Hard Way Podcast
"Everybody I know that has a really good visible six-pack has this."
 
Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up here.
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS NEWSLETTER?
MEH SOLID AROO!
TRAIN EAT APP TEAMS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive