Friday, August 12, 2022

Why you should have an alter ego for your brand/client

Alex In My Inbox #026
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

Hey friend, happy Friday!

Welcome to Edition 26 of Alex In My Inbox.

A weekly copywriting series where I share interesting, actionable, and hilarious copywriting tips from "Alex."

Alex is an anonymous copywriter who shares these tips with me so that way I can share them with you.

Today, Alex makes a case for why you should use characters in your copy to divert accountability from the brand. 

It's a framing masterclass, if you will.

Check it out.

Dear Chase,

I've never been what most would call a "good employee". 

In fact, I was basically every employer's worst enemy. I've always been a man of the people though. 

I used to work at a coffee shop that was a 2-minute walk from the local yacht club. And I was so busy flirting with 50-year-old billionaire women that I messed up a lot of orders. 

However, it was never my fault. 

I always blamed it on the kitchen, the managers, or the establishment itself. 

Because I was so ridiculously charming, NOBODY got flack. Especially not me. If I was working, it doesn't matter WHAT went wrong, every customer would leave happy. 

I was the intermediary for their anger, and I just distracted them until we fixed the issue. 

I took this into my career as a copywriter and I have made every brand more lovable than they were before I showed up. 

For brands that take themselves seriously, they don't usually like to make jokes about their customers, their products, or…anything, really. 

So, to get around this, I'll create a character with a new email address and a new sender name. 

This character will be some low-level employee at the company, and he's very useful. 

This character can do a lot of things that the usual face of the brand can't do, such as:

  1. Brag about how cool the brand is and how great the products are.

  2. Talk about how some other people at the company made mistakes that caused shipping delays, messaging mistakes, whatever.

  3. Break the fourth wall and offer brutal honesty when needed.

I'll give an example. I used to write copy for this spiritual guru guy who helped business owners get in touch with the Universe or something. 

The main face of the brand, let's call him Bryan, was suuuuper serious. Because spirituality and the Universe were nothing to joke about. 

He would use a lot of cloudy, fancy language in order to inspire people and make the audience feel like he was larger than life. 

That brand voice and communication style was very sacred to him, and he never wanted to break character.

10% of the audience understood him, 90% of people thought he was a bit of a crazy person.

It was only until the "Intern" character that I created would come in and actually explain WTF he was talking about. 

Bryan would be all like:

"Reach for your heart. Do you feel the stars? Do you feel the voice in your head tickling your root chakra? Buy my course."

Then I'd be like:

"Hey, I'm an Intern at this company. If you don't understand what Bryan is talking about, I don't blame you. No one does. But he actually is more in touch with the Universe than anyone I've ever seen, so he doesn't have the capability to talk like a normal person.

What he MEANS is that most business owners have broken souls and you need to fix that in order to be more productive and enjoy your work more. Buy his course."

See the difference? We added a level of clarity without breaking Bryan's character. And we'd make tons of money with emails like that.

I do this with any client that has a high-and-mighty brand voice that they don't wanna break.

And I recommend you do the same. 

If you're going to break character and be real, do it with an alter ego. 

Wink, wink. 

Yours truly,

Alex.

Sent from The Coffee Machine At My Former Workplace That Was Always "Broken"

Very interesting email from Alex.

And last but not least, I'm gearing up to launch my email design platform in the next week or so.

The entire goal of this platform will be to help you create beautiful, high-converting emails in a fraction of the time.

Join the EmailUp waitlist to be the first to get access when it's live.

Have a great weekend,

Chase

© 2022 Chase Dimond

No longer want to receive these emails? Unsubscribe.
Chase Dimond 2960 Champion Way #1701 Tustin, CA 92782

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive