Friday, January 20, 2023

The traits of a successful freelancer (plus an Alex copy review)

Alex In My Inbox #49
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

Hey friend, happy Friday!

Welcome to Edition 49 of Alex In My Inbox.

Alex In My Inbox is a weekly copywriting series where I share interesting, actionable, and hilarious copywriting tips from "Alex."

Alex is an anonymous copywriter who shares these tips with me so that I can share them with you.


Before we dive into this week's edition, I wanted to share a shocking statistic I came across: 

According to Shopify, 37% of merchants plan to hire or change their 3PL fulfillment provider this year.

For those who feel this way about their current 3PL situation, you're not alone!

Finding a new 3PL can be a nightmare. 

You have to:

  • reach out to as many 3PLs as you can find
  • ask them for pricing
  • try and compare costs and services across companies "apples to apples"
  • hope it works out as your brand scales


With 22,000 3PLs in the US alone, it's nearly impossible to find a great shipping partner the old way.

Enter Fulfill.com: a digital marketplace I'm working with that connects brands with their perfect fulfillment partners.

I found Fulfill.com when a brand we work with urgently needed a fulfillment solution. Their 3PL had messed up BAD and was backdated weeks on orders… 

Within a week, Fulfill found a long-term solution for our client.

So if you're running a brand and looking for a new (hint: better) 3PL, you HAVE to check out their 3PL finder service here.

Their team works directly with hundreds of the best warehouses domestically and internationally to find you the perfect fit based on pricing, quality of service, and scalability. 

They shortlist several of the best options and send them back to you and your team typically within a week...

Best of all, it's free.

Learn more here about how they can help, or you can send them an email here: team@fulfill.com

 

Now back to today's scheduled programming.

Today, Alex has an email that follows up on the one we sent you about "technical writing" last week. 

We mentioned some of the people that had some good replies with one-liners for AppStack, and Alex offers a very valuable teachable moment about how you know whether a copywriter will do well in life or not. 

Let's get into it:

Dear Chase,

Thanks for sending me all of the results of last week's challenge.

I went through all of them.

Was in bed at 3am on Saturday reading all of the replies you forwarded over.

Most of them were what I expected. Quippy, but not exactly clear.

I was really looking for something that would capture the actual use case of AppStack, while making it sound sexy.

Two people stood out.

One of them is a line that could definitely end up as a header for the site.

Falaxity gave us:

"Minimizing your multitasking, to maximizing your profits with Shopify."

THAT'S sexy. I love that.

A little play on words, and it has two clear benefit points that e-commerce founders/marketers are going to need.

The other one I liked was from Airidas. He actually gave us two options, and I don't know which one I prefer:

1. AppStack is the ultimate smartwatch for your Shopify store - it consolidates all the key data you need to track your store's performance in one convenient location.

2. AppStack is the digital surveillance room for your Shopify store - it allows you to monitor all the key metrics and sneaky thieves holding back your store's performance in one convenient location.

I love BOTH of these. Airidas understood the assignment. I mentioned that you should liken the product to another product that is already well-understood. The smartwatch example is great, because the customer can visualize what AppStack can look like for their store.

I really enjoyed reading these. It was a very interesting insight into what most people's copy looks like.

It also led me to an interesting realization, and I think this was the reason that I popped super quickly back when I first started freelancing.

I've mentioned this before.

When I started copywriting, I gave it a little halo effect.

I so desperately wanted to be a freelancer.

The lifestyle, the money, the cachet.

I wanted to be that person.

And because I wanted it so bad, I was taking every single opportunity that I could get my hands on.

If I wasn't Alex, and I was just a regular guy on your email list who received the last email…

I would probably sit at my computer for hours trying to think of 20 different lines that might end up getting used so I could get a co-sign.

Some freelancers can get their first 1-2 clients within a week or two of starting.

For other freelancers, it can take months.

It's because the former are great at identifying opportunities, and the latter will sit around and wait for opportunities to come to them (and it never happens).

In April-June of 2020 when I first started, I maxed out every single way to get clients that you could possibly use.

I was on every platform. I was reaching out to everyone. I was sending DMs, emails, joining forums, joining Facebook groups, telling friends and family, etc.

I was BOUND to make money quickly.

When we sent this email last Friday, you'd expect everyone who wants to become a freelancer to reply to this and shoot their shot.

Maybe 30 people replied.

Out of thousands of people who want to make money.

I have no sympathy for them if they don't end up doing anything as a freelancer.

But as for Falaxity and Airidas, those people have the Alex + Chase co-sign.

If anyone on this list needs some copy done, reply to this email and we'll make the connection.

Thx.

Yours truly,

Alex.

Sent from CopyMBA, a course that'll make you a better writer.

I hope you enjoyed this edition.

As a reminder, if you're looking for a new 3PL for your brand or a clients brand, go take a look at Fulfill.com's free 3PL finder service.

Best,

Chase

© 2023 Chase Dimond

No longer want to receive these emails? Unsubscribe.
Chase Dimond 2960 Champion Way #1701 Tustin, CA 92782

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive