Friday, October 4, 2024

How to reset your goals this fall

A brutal 10-minute workout
 ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏
In today's edition, Joe shares:
  • My Goal Setting Strategies
  • A Crushing 10-Minute Workout
  • Motivation for Living the Hard Way
 
Spartans!

Why wait until January? Now is the best time to set your goals.

But don't set yourself up for failure like most people do. I learned that the hard way.

I grew up in a neighborhood in Queens where hustle was the name of the game. Early on, I was obsessed with the idea of achieving big things. I knew I needed goals to get there: become financially independent, get fit, start my own business.

But after stumbling to hit a few of those goals, I knew it wasn't enough just to have them in my head or written down. I needed daily habits that would push me closer to them.

That's where most people screw up. You can dream all you want about where you want to go, but if you're not doing the work to back it up, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

For instance, one of the most powerful habits I've built over the years is waking up early—5 a.m. every day, no exceptions. It's not because I enjoy getting up before the sun.

That early morning wake-up call is my way of reminding myself that success comes from doing the things you don't always want to do. And doing that consistently. That's the habit that's carried me through countless races, life's challenges, and business ups and downs.

But here's where a lot of us get tripped up, and I was one of them…

I used to believe that if I missed a workout or didn't go full throttle all day, I was failing.

Pushing 100% of the time was a habit that served me well—until it didn't.

Eventually, I got burned out physically, mentally, and emotionally. I realized I wasn't just pushing myself, I was punishing myself.

I had to learn that the right habits will keep you grounded, while the wrong ones will lead you straight to burnout.

The shift for me came when I realized that new habits could help support my goals too, like meditation, stretching, and downtime with my family.

Rest isn't a weakness, but don't get too comfortable, because we all have the tendency to lean toward more rest than we actually need.

So what's the real secret? Set big goals, but make sure your habits are aligned to get you there. And when you hit a wall, recharge just enough to keep the engine running.

Between now and January 1, take time to set your habits in stone. What goals will you set for yourself? Email me at thehardway@spartan.com and I'll share the responses next week.

Here's to The Hard Way!

Joe
 
TOUGH TEN WORKOUT

You may know meditation can reduce your risk of anxiety, depression, insomnia, and even more serious. Put your bodyweight endurance to the test with this heart-pounding set, designed by Allison Tai, Spartan SGX Coach, Spartan Canada Point Series winner 2015. It's super simple on the front end, but sustain it for 10 minutes and it'll be scary how strong you get. "Just like in a Spartan Race, the trick is to keep moving and pace yourself," Tai says.

10 rounds:

  • 10x Squats
  • 10x Jumping Jacks
  • 10x Push-ups

Or try for time:

  • Beginner: 10 mins
  • Intermediate: 8 mins
  • Beast: 7 mins
 
You Ask, Joe Answers
Q: Hey Joe, How do you avoid cramping? My calves cramp to a level that shuts me down with severe pain. Any suggestions?
- Stephen S.

A: Hey Stephen, How much water do you drink? Dehydration is one of the most common causes of muscle cramps, so check that you're staying hydrated. You may want to consider adding an electrolyte powder to your water if you're going to be moving and sweating a lot. Next, turn your attention to proper stretching—and not just before your race. Practice every day to feel better on race day.

Aroo!

Question for Joe? Want to tell him what you think of The Hard Way? Email him at thehardway@spartan.com.
 
WHAT A MOB BOSS TAUGHT ME
CLICK TO SHARE
 
They Said It
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine—and shadows will fall behind you."
Walt Whitman
 
OUR LATEST
The Hard Way Podcast
"I saw evil that you've never seen before."
 
To keep receiving this newsletter, sign up here.
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS NEWSLETTER?
MEH SOLID AROO!
TRAIN EAT APP TEAMS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive